Around 74 trillion emails are sent daily, and the number of email users worldwide is estimated at 3.7 billion! Emails are synonymous with online business. Isn’t it? Anyone who is online, whether for social media browsing or for running a business, email is the first medium of communication.
Ever since the late 90s, email marketing has continued to be a proven and foolproof online marketing strategy. From ecommerce giants like Amazon sending promotional emails to small businesses doing email blasts to targeted audiences, email marketing is multi-faceted. In this article, we will unravel some of the basic facets of email marketing.
What is Email Marketing?
It is the process of promoting your brand wherein you send the information related to your product or service to the receiver. Different approaches for email marketing can be listed as:
- Promotional emails for promoting your product or service. In these emails, you urge the potential customers to buy the products by listing its benefits.
- Regular emails are necessary for building relations and trust. When you provide informative and engaging content regularly to your subscribers, you will strengthen the relationship between business and customers.
- Advertisement emails are used for promoting products and services with the help of advertisements. For example, you can send an email consisting of information and banner ads on the top and bottom of the email.
There are two components of an email- a sender and a receiver. Assume firstname.lastname@example.org to be the sender and email@example.com to be the receiver. When the sender sends an email to the receiver, it will pass through two spam filter mechanism, one of the Gmail and the other of the Yahoo.
Daily Limit for sending Email
An email account is 99% free unless you sign-up for business accounts such as Google for Work. Whether it is a free or paid account, there are certain restrictions. Let’s take Gmail as an example. Gmail allows the user to send 500 emails every 24 hours and 100 emails if it’s sent through SMTP server access. Going beyond these limits or mass sending a lot of emails in a fraction of a section calls for account bans as Gmail wants to avoid spam reports. The same logic works for any other email service provider.
Email Marketing Permissions
Email marketing is necessary for telling people about your product or service. For this, you need email addresses for sending emails. Now, if you buy a list of email database and send promotional emails, they will mostly land up in their spam folder. The reason is that the recipient never requested for your email. Therefore, you need permissions before sending an email. The customer should authorize you for sending promotional emails. Permission marketing is a legit way of collecting emails and building your subscribers while buying email lists for sending is an illegal way of marketing, and this is called spamming.
Difference between Opt-in and Double Opt-in
You went on a website, and you liked the content on that website. You subscribed to that
website for receiving emails. When you submitted your email address, it got confirmed at the spot. This is called opt-in marketing.
Now, if website owner asks you to confirm your email address and identity by clicking on the confirmation link sent to email address, you open the email and click on the link to confirm it. This is called double opt-In marketing. It involves verification of the subscriber.
Email Marketing Platforms
These are some software that can be used for email marketing campaigns:
- Send Grid
- Constant Contact
- Get Response
You can even enable email support on your website. For example, it can be firstname.lastname@example.org. Now, anybody can contact you on this email address, and you can send emails via this address.
Web Forms and Lists
With email marketing software, you can maintain lists for your email marketing campaign. You can even create web forms for acquiring information about a certain survey or anything.
It’s essential to deploy a trackable autoresponder system to track the campaigns. The autoresponder system allows you to send emails at scheduled intervals. You just have to type your information, schedule the time, and manage the lists of email addresses. The autoresponder system helps in simplifying your tasks.
You can also create multi-layered campaigns. For example, the first email blast went to 200 subscribers, and 50 people opened and read the email. Through trigger-based autoresponder system, you can schedule a follow-up email to the remaining 150 people on one side, and send a different kind of email to the 50 people to carry the conversation ahead.
How to Build Email Lists?
When building your email lists, you can utilize the software mentioned above. You can supplement your campaign by creating valuable information that includes hosting a webinar, giving a free e-book, providing engaging videos, display pop up at the starting or ending, give freebies via email or while signing up. You can also offer discounts and cashback on products.
How to land in Inbox rather than Spam folder?
- Always include the unsubscribe link in your emails.
- If you have the email on your website, it is beneficial.
- Avoid using capital letters in your Subject line.
- You should include links in the email but confine them to maximum three.
- Keep checking your Spam score on your email software. It should be as low as possible.
- Personalize your marketing campaign. Use first person approach with your name and personal details.
- Don’t try to sound like you just want to make money and that’s it. It will harm your reputation.
Subject lines can make a huge difference in your emails. Most people just read the subject line and decide whether they want to read it or not. Make it attractive, tempting, personalized, and try to answer a query. Some examples are listed below:
- Blinder: Hey! Grab this before it’s gone / You need to watch this (curiosity)
- Presell with Benefits: Write benefit in the subject line.
- Scarcity (Blows up open rate): Take action now before it goes away.
- Cleanup (every three months may be): Remove members who aren’t opening or clicking or else it affects IP after a year or so.
Endnote: Email marketing is responsible for high rate of conversions. If you can send a detailed email describing in an informative way, you can boost your sales and revenue.